Thursday, April 16, 2009

APFT

My Army Reserve Unit is having an exercise. It began yesterday afternoon at 1500. I took the PT test today, for the first time since 2006. I seemed to have the onset of a cold just in time for the test, but forced about half a gallon of water after I got home yesterday before I left the house at 3:50 this morning.

I then managed to spend forever wandering around Fort Gordon, starting with the gate guy giving me completely incorrect directions to where I wanted to go. After I finally found the "quarter mile track at Barton Field", I waited for 15 minutes before realizing I must still be at the wrong place, since no-one from my unit was showing up. It seems there are actually three quarter mile tracks.

I hurriedly did my pushups, waited a minute and a half, and did my situps, before the run started about two minutes later.

I scored a 237. Not super, but not the worst I've done.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Heh... Still the same old Army... :-)

charlotte g said...

My former supervisor was in the national guard and really trained for the testing when he was 55 or so. He was doing very well on his timed run when he tripped over something about 100 yards from the finish and broke his ankle. He crawled the rest of the way and just made it under the time limit. He was determined to qualify. And he did.

J.R.Shirley said...

Ow. Because of the nature of my new unit (a training unit), we have an especially strong percentage of very senior enlisted soldiers.

This probably has a good bit to do with our 30% APFT failure rate...


HallowE09