Saturday, January 29, 2011

After SHOT

SHOT 2011 was a lot of fun. Very busy, but I found that working with definite goals on behalf of The High Road actually let me enjoy myself even more than I did when I was there just for my own benefit. Perhaps the biggest reason for attending, was to give THR members a glimpse of new or rare products.

Taurus has sold a boatload of their Judge revolving .45 Colt/.410 shotshell handguns. This year they are introducing a variety of carbine/shotguns through their Rossi subsidiary, as well.

The Rossi Judge carbines actually feel really good, but I would be happier with them if they were offered in a .454 Casull/.410 version (similar to the "Raging Judge" revolver coming out), so I could be certain my hot .45 Colt loads could be safely fired. One of the Taurus reps told me that a Casull Judge carbine wasn't offered because of the potential for cylinder gap blast to cause injury, but there is a .44 magnum Judge carbine...dunno. I especially liked the "Tuffy" Tactical Judge carbine, which has a short LOP synthetic stock, fiber-optic front sights, and light rail! It remains to be seen how well the Colt ammunition will shoot from the 3" .410-length cylinders.

I finally got my hands on a Kel-Tec SU-16D SBR. I'd love to have a suppressed one. I also love, love, love what I saw of the new KT RMR-30 .22 magnum carbine. It feels absolutely great.

o

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good update JR, thanks!

phlegmfatale said...

SHOT 2011? Oooh, envy envy envy!

I'm looking forward to my tax refund check this year, going to buy a new gun for myself. What to buy, what to buy...? It's better than anticipating Christmas ever was. :)

Unknown said...

I would love it if Rossi would put out a .454 carbine as well, John. According to Cartridges Of The World, there's been a problem with lead ringing from soft .45 Colt loads leaving deposits in the chamber gap, that is then causing damage to the gun when it's shot with .454 loads, and this has made some wary.

I would think that if they're using the same action for .44 Magnum, that it would work with heavy GA Arms .45 Colt loads.

J.R.Shirley said...

Phelgm, that little revolving Judge .22/.22 Magnum carbine might be a fun choice.

Matt, I think the .44 Judge is a different frame.


HallowE09